The AGE FRIENDLY programme works to create the kinds of communities in which older people live autonomous, independent and valued lives.
Offaly Age Friendly County Programme:
The AGE FRIENDLY programme works to create the kinds of communities in which older people live autonomous, independent and valued lives. Positive health and wellbeing as we age is fundamental to our vision for Offaly. The Offaly Age Friendly County Programme will endeavour to create walkable, attractive and accessible communities and age-friendly spaces, and by introducing actions to address participation and inequality. People of all ages across Offaly will be supported to enjoy healthier, more active and connected lives.
This Age Friendly County Strategy has been prepared by the Offaly Age Friendly County Alliance in consultation and cooperation with older people across Offaly. This Alliance is a senior level, cross sector group whose member agencies have formed an overarching strategic partnership to develop and oversee the realisation of the Offaly Age Friendly County Strategy. Member organisations include;
- Offaly County Council
- Health Service Executive
- An Garda Síochana
- Offaly Local Enterprise Office
- Offaly Older People’s Network
- Local Link Laois Offaly
- Laois Offaly Education and Training Board
- Midland Regional Hospital at Tullamore
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Offaly Library Service
- Offaly Local Development Company
- Offaly Sports Partnership
- The ultimate aim of the Age Friendly County Programme is to make Offaly a county in which;
- Older people are supported to influence the decisions that impact on their lives.
- Older people can exercise autonomy in relation to the systems, services and decisions which affect them
- There is real respect for older people and their contribution to the county and the communities in which they live is fully valued
- Older people are supported to live independently for as long as they wish to,
- Older people experience excellent quality of life
- Better integration of services reduces dependency and avoidable duplication and costs
This strategy 2018 – 2021 was implemented and reviewed.
Consultation is under way on the 2nd Strategy for Offaly.
This takes place on June 21st @ the Tullamore Court and will look at the following areas:
- The World Health Organisation Age Friendly Themes
- Outdoor Spaces & Buildings
- Community supports & Health Services
- Respect & Social Inclusion
- Social Participation
- Civic participation and Employment
- Communication and information
The Strategy is a call to action to agencies and organisations in the statutory, community and business sectors from across the county to collaborate with older people and to work creatively together to make Offaly a great county in which to grow older.