CLOSED - Town and Village Renewal Scheme 2019
Offaly County Council is seeking to engage with community groups to bring forward ideas for physical improvement and / or increasing the economic potential of towns and villages.
Offaly County Council is seeking ideas in respect of projects for physical improvement and / or increasing the economic potential of towns and villages, in anticipation of the launch of the Town and Village Renewal Scheme 2019. We are asking community groups across the county to bring forward details of any project which the Council could consider for submission to the Department of Rural and Community Development, under the criteria of the 2018 scheme.
While the 2019 scheme and its criteria has yet to be announced, Offaly County Council at this stage, is trying to ascertain the potential level of interest and the type / nature of any proposed projects that may be eligible for the scheme. For guidance, we recommend that the qualifying conditions and terms of the 2018 scheme should be taken into consideration when developing your proposal(s). Please refer to the 2018 Scheme Guidelines for more detailed information in relation to:
- Application process – (section 4)
- Selection criteria – (section 5)
- Types of activities which can be supported – (section 6)
How to express an interest on behalf of your community?
Please submit your initial proposals on the Town & Village Renewal Scheme Expression of Interest Application Form by 24th April, 2019 by post to:
Town & Village Renewal Scheme, Planning Section, Offaly County Council, Charleville Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. RD35 F893 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your submission should run to no more than three pages and needs to include the following:
- Name and contact details for your community group
- Map and location of project
- Population of town / village
- Project details such as:
- Project description
- Objective and / or intended outcomes for project
- Project cost (estimate, if available)
- Available support funding from applicant
- Proposed project phasing, if applicable*
- Any other details considered relevant
* This could be extremely important should an application be successful, but not awarded the full amount sought.
What happens next?
Offaly County Council will assess the general level of interest and will meet representatives of the interested groups in the coming weeks for a more detailed briefing with a view to developing your ideas further.
Some guidance to assist your considerations
- Questions for consideration in making this initial call for project outlines?
- What are the key strengths of your town / village in terms of a place to live and work?
- What are the changes that you would like to see in order to make your Town / Village an improved place to live, work and visit?
- What projects do you think could best bring about positive change?
- Is there any scope to develop opportunities and facilities for tourists?
- Selection criteria (from 2018 scheme)
While the Council has yet to receive details of the 2019 scheme, for guidance, please note that in the 2018 scheme the government Department guidelines emphasised the following in particular:
- Successful proposals will include activities which have clear positive economic impacts on the town, rather than just public realm-type actions
- Successful town revival is most likely to be achieved where there is close partnership on projects between the community, public and private sectors.
- Weighting will be given to projects which demonstrate leveraging of, or linkages with, other schemes operated by Government Departments or agencies (e.g. in the areas of heritage, arts, culture, tidy towns, recreational facilities, re-use of vacant premises, vacant sites, energy efficiency schemes, etc.).
- Proposals should also be consistent with the Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP), town health checks, and other local development plans.
- Types of activities that can be supported (from 2018 scheme)
The central aim of the 2018 scheme was to support the revitalisation of towns and villages in order to improve the living and working environment of their communities and increase their potential to support increased economic activity into the future. The type of projects funded under this initiative was primarily a matter for the local authorities (LAs) to identify in partnership with local business and communities. However, the overall intention of the funding was to support:
- Projects that support and facilitate the creation of jobs (e.g. development of Enterprise Hubs, Hot Desk Facilities, Digital Hubs, Creative Hubs, training facilities)
- Projects to increase the attractiveness of the town or village as a local commercial and social centre, and as a result increase its sustainability as a place in which to live and work
- Projects to enhance the towns / village environment and amenities in the interests of residents, businesses and visitors / tourists
- Projects to promote the town / village’s potential for tourism and as a centre for culture and local heritage, thus enhancing the sense of identity – physically and socially
Offaly County Development Plan 2014-2020, Tullamore Town and Environs Development Plan 2010 (as extended), Birr Town and Environs Development Plan 2010 (as extended), Edenderry Local Area Plan 2017-2023, Portarlington Joint Local Area Plan 2018-2024
Offaly Local Economic and Community Plan 2016-2021
Town and Village Renewal Scheme Information